Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bigger is better...

It's 21:06 and I'm sitting here again in front of ol' beigechunkyglowy, listening to Bjork and my MSN thingy keeps nagging me.

It's Shinny, and he's explaining some stuff to do with computers to me... it involves this random little fact that when you go out and buy a 1TB hard drive, you don't really get the full 1TB... you get something less... a rounded down number... hell, I guess if the shops get away with charging me 4 extra cents for something just because we don't actually have 1 cent pieces, the computer hard drive manufacturers figure we are equally as hoodwinkable.

Now, you might think "hey, 1TB is a whole friggin' bunch... I can fit heaps of illegally downloaded movies on there, who cares if it costs $300 bucks from Officeworks, I'll never use that much." but I'm a modern girl, with lots of random junk I like to hoard... and after I agonised over a hot google for five whole minutes to come up with this figure:

1,099,511,627,776B
(thanks Yahoo Answers...)

That is over a Trillion Bytes. A friggin Trillion! That's a whole blimmin' lot right there...

But wait.

When you buy a cute little book shaped external hard drive, it has less than that fancy number up there. It has only got exactly: 1,000,000,000,000B on it. Yet they still call it a Terabyte hard drive! WTFH?

Fair enough. It's still big. I can still fit the whole MP3 beatles back catalogue on that...

But growing up as a girl, I used to read Cosmo, Cleo and all those other women's mags... and they always said "bigger is better"... so I demand the full 1,099,511,627,776B that they advertised on the flimsy card board box!

Next time I walk into Harvey Norman looking for a 1TB hard drive (for storing all my 'educational films') I will demand the extra 99,511,627,776B that a TB is supposed to be, or I will cry "false advertising!" 'til they give me a free generic 256MB house brand MP3 player or something.

Hey, never look a gift horse in the mouth!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. In fact it was similar with the old floppy disks. In the case of the High Density 3½-inch disk, the disk's true capacity would be about 2 Megabytes, but you'd only be able to use about 1.4Mb of that space due to technical reasons - it largely depended on how well the disk drive could read and write to the disk.
    But, indeed, you don't always get what you pay for!

    (PS. I deleted my last post coz I quoted the wrong size disk)

    ReplyDelete